St Mary's Church was completed in 1841. It stands on the site of former chapels going back to the 16th century at the very heart of the village. Surrounded by the churchyard it is bordered on one side by North Street which runs parallel to the tidal River Trent.
Next door literally is West Butterwick Methodist Church with whom St Mary's enjoys close ties. West of the Church and with direct access is the Primary School which is a church school and whose staff and pupils regularly make use of St Mary's.